This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1317133



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: South Bucks

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Burnham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 44284

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/682 Dropmore


- 1

1792-5 by Samuel Wyatt for Lord Grenville with alterations 1806-9 by C H Tatham. Gardens, Pinetum and Plantations designed and planted by Lord Grenville (died 1834) and Lady Grenville (died 1864). The Burnham/Taplow parish boundary passes through the house. Cement rendered and colourwashed; slate roof. ENTRANCE FACADE. 5 bays; 2 storeys except bays 2 and 4 which are of 3 and advanced somewhat. Central hexastyle single-storeyed portico with Tuscan columns. Ground floor with Tuscan pilasters supporting a triglyph entablature. Sash windows except in bays 2 and 4 which have tripartite windows with blank segmen- tal arches over. 1st floor windows sashes except those of bays 2 and 4 which are tripartite and within moulded surrounds. The 3rd floor windows in bays 2 and 4 square sashes within moulded surrounds. Moulded cornice and blocking course. GARDEN FACADE. Wholly of 2 storeys and with 3 bows with shallow domed roofs. All along the ground floor, wooden trellis work with a conservatory be- tween the bow windows on the right. This trellis work continues beyond the house on the left (SEE item 1/683). INTERIOR. Entrance hall with screen of columns. Good plaster ceilings and fireplaces in several rooms. CL, 11 & 18 October 1956. To the right of the house, first, (SEE item 1/683) and of early C19 red brick. Against it on the S a lean-to with slate roof supported on decorative iron trellis work. Then, to the right of the house again, the stable yard. Early C19, considerably altered. Red brick; slate roof. Arched entrance with small wooden louvred cupola on skyline and clock facing into the yard. 2 storeyed ranges, that on the N with original horse stalls.

Listing NGR: SU9266886027

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 18 October, (1956)
'Country Life' in 11 October, (1956)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 4 Buckinghamshire,

National Grid Reference: SU 92668 86027


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1317133 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2015 at 08:19:34.