This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1316621



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Eye

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 15-Jun-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Feb-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 468331

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TM1473 CHURCH STREET 585-1/7/78 (East side) 15/06/51 The Guildhall (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH STREET (North side) Guildhall of St Mary or Upson's Guildhall)


Guildhall of St Mary, now offices and shop. Late C15, probably for John Upson. Rebuilt 1875 by JK Colling as headmaster's house for adjoining Eye Grammar school until 1965, now offices and shop. Timber-framed; machine tile roofs. Nearly rectangular plan with a short west extension. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. West gable-end faces street. Exposed close studding throughout. First floor jettied to south and west. South flank with 5 two- and 3-light casements to ground floor and 4 to first floor, 3 of which are elaborated into oriels on heavily carved aprons. Gabled roof with clustered decorative ridge stack and internal gable-end stack to east. West gable with 4-light ground-floor casement, oriel window above fitted with single-light leaded casements on a richly carved apron and with a hipped plaintile roof. 3-light attic casement. Brattished jetty bressumer and attic wall plate. South-west corner post has weathered C15 carved figure of Archangel Gabriel, and south flank retains two 4-centred window heads with carved spandrels. All other timber of 1875. INTERIOR: heavy hollow-moulded tie beams on arched braces, also hollow-moulded. Plan is of 1875. (Paine C: The History of Eye: Diss: 1993-: 34-40).

Listing NGR: TM1486573817

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Paine, C, The History of Eye, (1993), 34-40

National Grid Reference: TM 14865 73817


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1316621 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2015 at 10:44:28.