This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1313933



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Bradford

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Haworth, Cross Roads and Stanbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Feb-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 338119

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


KEIGHLEY CHURCH STREET SE 0237 and SE 0337 (south side) 21/31 Haworth

23.2.55 Haworth Parsonage (Bronte Museum)


Parsonage, now museum. 1779, altered and extended 1872, restored later. Coursed dressed millstone grit. Stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 5 bays with cross wing of 1872 to right. Left-hand portion: sashes in slightly projecting stone architraves with moulded cills. Central, panelled, part-glazed door with knocker in pedimen- ted Tuscan doorcase with pilasters, frieze and cornice, flanked by 2 windows to each side. 5 windows above. Continuous lintel band to first floor. Dentilled eaves. End stacks. Cross wing has windows in slightly projecting stone archi- traves with moulded cills, that to ground floor of 3 lights with cill on consoles, that to first floor of 2 sashed lights. Iron finial. Interior: stone stairs and round-headed staircase arch; original doors; flagstone floors; simple iron fireplaces; window shutters, iron range and moulded ceiling beams in kitchen. Occupied by the Bronte family from 1820 onwards. Most of the novels were written here.

Listing NGR: SE0290937214

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 02909 37214


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1313933 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2015 at 02:15:59.