This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1311692



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Whitwell and Selside

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Feb-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 75761

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/180 Church of St Thomas


Church. 1838, tower 1894. Plastered stone, the tower of stone rubble with slobbered mortar, some roughcast and ashlar dressings; slate roof. 4-bay nave and west tower. Nave has coped east gable with kneelers and cross, diagonal buttress to south. Narrow stack to north of 3-light traceried window with single-chamfered mullions. Later lean-to outbuilding with gabled building to north end. South facade of nave has lancets with chamfered reveals. North facade has organ loft under catslide roof to east. 2 bays, with 3-light single-chamfered mullioned window with transom. Tower has bell stage over weathered band, plastered to west, top band and embattled parapet. Squat pyramidal roof with weather vane. West window of 3 round-headed lights; 4 light window to north, with weathered buttress to angle. South stair turret under lean-to roof has window of 2 round-headed lights. Gabled porch has Tudor-headed entrance and lozenge with date: 1838. 3 louvred bell-openings to each face of bell stage, but only 2 to east. Interior: Stepped round arch on corbels to tower, which has fluted beams. Partitioned-off vestry. Font of marble, of 4-lobed chalice form. Nave has boarded roof and tie beams; hat pegs to backs of pews. Enriched stall fronts and reredos; turned balusters to altar rail. Stained glass east window, the Good Shepherd, dated 1867. Older font is square, on chamfered pier, with date: 1709. Wood wall memorial to Ienet Kitchin, died 1712 aged 103, panel with entablature and apron with skull and cross bones.

Listing NGR: SD5355099206

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 53550 99206


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1311692 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2015 at 02:23:31.