This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

MILESTONE IN YARD OF BUCKLAND BURY (20 METERS TO SOUTH-SOUTH-EAST OF HOUSE)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MILESTONE IN YARD OF BUCKLAND BURY (20 METERS TO SOUTH-SOUTH-EAST OF HOUSE)

List entry Number: 1308093

Location

MILESTONE IN YARD OF BUCKLAND BURY (20 METERS TO SOUTH-SOUTH-EAST OF HOUSE), HIGH ROAD (A10)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Buckland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Dec-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160260

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3533 BUCKLAND HIGH ROAD (A10) (East side) Buckland

5/39 Milestone in yard - of Buckland Bury (20m to SSE of house)

GV II

Milestone. Circa 1742 for Wadesmill Turnpike Trust, front covered by iron lettered plate c.1804 possibly to design of McAdam. White freestone with cast iron front plate. A square pillar of stone facing N, about 400 mm square and 1 m high, with large front plate. Segmental curved top and raised bead all round plate. Inscription reads 'LONDON/34/BUNTINGFORD/3/ROYSTON/4'.The first and second words are raised in segmental arcs. Formerly on High Road in Buckland village; erected in present position c.1970. (Branch Johnson (1970) 109-10).

Listing NGR: TL3563433655

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Branch Johnson, W , The Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire, (1970), 109-10

National Grid Reference: TL3563433655

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308093 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2016 at 07:06:53.

End of official listing