This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1307327



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Rutland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Exton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Sep-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 187335

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



5/51 Hall & Chapel


Hall, built piecemeal around an earlier core, from 1811, but chiefly of 1850-51 by John Linnell Bond, in a Jacobethan style reminiscent of the old hall. Chapel added following the conversion of the 8th Earl of Gainsborough to Roman Catholicism, by Charles Alban Buckler, 1868 - coursed rubble with quoins and string courses, stone tiled roof throughout. 2 storeys with attics. Assymmetrical south front with octagonal, ogee capped turrets on outer angles, 2 full-height squared bay windows in shaped gables, various tall mullion and transom windows and to the right, 3 bays with tall sash windows, and a 4-centred arched projecting porch with glazed double entrance doors, with a 12-light mullion and and transomed window with cambered head over the porch. Continuous eaves parapet throughout: a detail borrowed from the old hall. Right of the house, and attached to it, is the chapel in C13 style, with 2 paired and foiled lights to nave, which terminates in an apse with decorated eaves cornice. Otherwise, the chapel is very plain to the south, though on the north, a large projecting porch and an adjoining vestry beneath a gable containing a rose window, and terminating in a bell turret, are more flamboyant.

West front of house in a different style with triple-light sash windows to ground floor, venetian windows above. A curved 2-storey flanking wall links this with a further large advanced to the west, and running N-S, in Jacobethan style, with gables and a large octagonal turret ornamented with a lozenge motif taken from the old hall. Ornamental parapet, gable finials etc.

Rear of hall reveals piecemeal nature of its construction. In the centre, is a 3-gabled range belonging to an earlier building, with coped gable and flat stone lintels to casement windows, but partially concealed by brick-built link to 4-gabled range to right, with gothick lattice-work to windows.

Listing NGR: SK9269911215

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 92149 11395


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307327 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2015 at 07:25:27.