This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1298875



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Crawley

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. As these are some of our oldest designation records they do not have all the information held electronically that our modernised records contain. Therefore, the original date of scheduling is not available electronically. The date of scheduling may be noted in our paper records, please contact us for further information.

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1948

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 363346

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


HIGH STREET 1. 5403 (east side) Parish Church of St John the Baptist TQ 2636 NE 5/23 21.6.48 II* 2. C15 and C19. Formerly a Chapel of Ease for the parish of Slaugham. Built of Sussex limestone. Horsham slab roofs except for the chancel which is tiled. South wall of the nave, the nave roof and some carvings are C15. The west tower is of 1807 but using old materials and the north aisle was added, north porch added, north vestry and organ chamber added chancel rebuilt and general restoration undertaken by Woodyer in 1879-80. The west tower of 3 stages has 3 late medieval carved figures under canopies. C15 or early C16 nave roof with tie-beams, collars with curved braces and "Man you wele bewar, for worldly good makyth man mynde. Bewar be for for whate comyth be hynde." Set in the north wall of the chancel is a C14 carved stone with 3 cusped canopies, probably part of a stone reredos. C15 doorway on south side of chancel arch that gave access to roof loft stair. C13 font of marble with octagonal bowl supported on central drum and 4 surrounding shafts. Early C17 oak pulpit, re-set on modern stone base. Early C18 altar rails. Brass inscription to William Blast d.1438) and brass of a woman early C16. (See V C H Sussex vii P 146). The churchyard has 2 good C18 limestone headstones with cherubs, flowers, snakes and heavenly trumpet motifs.

Listing NGR: TQ2686836540

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Saltzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Sussex, (1940), 146

National Grid Reference: TQ 26868 36540


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1298875 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Mar-2017 at 02:08:18.

End of official listing