This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

TITHE BARN AT CROXLEY HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TITHE BARN AT CROXLEY HALL

List entry Number: 1296113

Location

TITHE BARN AT CROXLEY HALL, LAVEROCK LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Three Rivers

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Apr-1970

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 158819

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 09 SE RICKMANSWORTH LAVROCK LANE (South side) Croxley Hall

9/176 Tithe Barn at 2.4.70 Croxley Hall Farm

GV II*

Tithe barn. Probably built 1396-1401 for Abbey of St. Albans during abbacy of John Moote, restored 1975. Timber frame. Flint, clunch and brick base walls. Weatherboarded. Tiled roof. 5 bays with nave and aisles, 2 bay entrance porch. 101ft by 381½ft. Central gabled entrance porch to E with double doors. C17 brick buttresses to base which has a low door to E. Doors to N and to W with two 16 pane fixed windows. Half hipped roof with gablets. Interior: hoggin floor, lime washed, 5ft high flint walls with clunch quoins and coping separate each bay in aisles. 2 central crown post trusses with outer collar and tie beam trusses. Arched braces from jowled arcade posts to tie beams and arcade plates. Crown posts braced to crown plate. Passing braces from wall posts to tie beams with lap joints to aisle ties and arcade posts. Intermediate braces from wall posts to arcade plates. Arched braces in end walls. Angled queen struts clasp purlins in entrance porch. (VCH 1908: RCHM 1910: S. Castle Herts Archaeology, vol.3, 1973, p.134: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TQ0699994592

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
'Hertfordshire Archaeology' in Hertfordshire Archaeology, , Vol. 3, (1973), 134
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TQ 06999 94592

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1296113 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-May-2016 at 04:35:45.

End of official listing