This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1295503



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Letchworth Garden City

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 161932

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WILLIAN ROAD 1. 5255 (south side) Willian The Old Vicarage TL 23 SW 1/20 27.5.54 II* 2. Probably earlier C16, altered. Originally 3-bay, lobby entrance house type. East (chamber) bay retains internal remains of windows to former east gable and fireplaces on ground and first floors. Lobby entrance with opposing staircase, whose reconstruction circa 1925 probably involved the removal of the original hall fireplace. The hall bay was probably altered front and rear during the C18. The western bay was rebuilt circa 1925 and the house refenestrated at the same time. A modern kitchen wing has been added at the east end. Two storeys. Three window front with one window projecting wings at either end. Timber-framed with panel infill. The former C16 entrance bay still retains its first floor jetty at side and rear. Thatch roof, gabled at west end bay and hipped at east end bay. Moulded brick, modern stacks. Lobby entrance with blocked, 4 centred arched window with 2 lights at first floor. Internal, former gable windows of east bay mullioned with ovolo mouldings and stay bars. Two, three and four light casement windows of circa 1925 with leaded lights. C18 architraved doorway with dentil cornice and panelled door. Interior with chamfered ceiling beams with tongue stops. Brick fireplaces; ground floor with C17 segmental brick arch replacing former lintel; first floor with original; chamfered 4 centred brick arch. (VCH III p 177; RCHM Herts p 243.)

Listing NGR: TL2247630712

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 177
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 22476 30712


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1295503 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-May-2017 at 02:14:29.

End of official listing