This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1295414



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Treborough

National Park: EXMOOR

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265386

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



12/103 Church of St Peter



Parish church. Begun early C14, mostly late C15-early C16, restored early C19, tower reroofed. Roughcast over random rubble, local Treborough slate roofs. Chancel, nave, entry through south tower, south east vestry. Two stage tower, plinth, pilaster quoin strips, string course, pyramid slate roof, overhanging eaves and soffit board, 2-light louvred bell openings under hoodmould, slate sundial rendered inaccurate by bulge in wall, moulded pointed arch opening renewed in red sandstone, chamfered pointed arched inner doorway, C19 door, 11 stone steps up to ringing chamber but floor removed; C19 2-light window to vestry, entrance on east front, buttressed chancel, east window of 3 cinquefoil headed lancets under hoodmould, 4 stepped buttresses to north front of nave, 2 and 3-light cinquefoil headed mullioned windows under hood moulds, 2-light west window between stepped buttresses, 3-light cinquefoil headed mullioned window on south front. Interior. rendered. Blocked 4-centred tower arch with inserted C19 chamfered Tudor arch opening, Perpendicular chancel arch, C19 plastered wagon roof to chancel, C19 scissor truss roof to nave. Rare Perpendicular pillar piscina, ogee headed opening, cusped with decorative spandels, 5 sided projecting basin, panels of foliage decoration, set on attached 5 sided pillar. Perpendicular octagonal font, foliage decoration to panels, basin supported by angels with scripts. C17-C18 bench ends and coeval clergy seat. C19 panelled dado to chancel. Carved wooden half life size figure at prayer at west end by Rachel Reckett, 1965. The west porch that was recorded in the early C19 has completely disappeared. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Photograph in NMR).

Listing NGR: ST0106536373

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST0106536373


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1295414 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Oct-2015 at 05:25:55.