This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHIRK AQUEDUCT (THAT PART IN WESTON RHYN CP)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHIRK AQUEDUCT (THAT PART IN WESTON RHYN CP)

List entry Number: 1295150

Location

CHIRK AQUEDUCT (THAT PART IN WESTON RHYN CP)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Weston Rhyn

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 255822

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WESTON RHYN C.P. SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL SJ 23 NE 1/108 Chirk Aqueduct (that part in Weston Rhyn C.P.) GV II* Canal aqueduct. 1796-1801 by William Jessop and Thomas Telford for the Ellesmere Canal. Roughly coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings and cast-iron railings to parapet on east side. Approximately 20m high with 10 round-headed arches divided by pilaster strips; curving end walls to north and south. Arches have keystones and imposts struck through to soffit. Canal in trough with cast-iron bed and stone side walls. The aqueduct which cost £20,898 and was opened in 1801, spans the valley of the River Ceiriog and is partly in Wales, the border bisecting the structure at an angle of approximately 45° from south-west to north-east. Forms an impressive sight with the Chirk Viaduct (q.v.) running parallel immediately to west. B.o.E. p.313; Edward Hubbard, The Buildings of Wales: Clwyd (1986) p.130; Charles Hadfield, Canals of the West Midlands (3rd edn. 1985) p.173.

Listing NGR: SJ2872437213

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hadfield, C, The Canals of the West Midlands, (1985), 173
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 313
Hubbard, E, 'The Buildings of Wales' in Clwyd, (1986), 130

National Grid Reference: SJ 28724 37213

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1295150 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2016 at 04:21:50.

End of official listing