This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1293603



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Kensington and Chelsea

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1984

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Oct-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 203800

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 05/10/2012

TQ 2678 NW 46/20

GLOUCESTER ROAD SW7 Church of St Stephen


Church. 1866-7, designed by Joseph Peacock. Octagonal north-east vestry, passage behind east end and south-east chapel added by H R Gough 1887. Chancel recast 1903-8 by G F Bodley and Walter Tapper. Coursed Bargate stone (Yorkshire parpoints to 1887 additions), with Bath stone dressings. Slate roof. Transitional but eclectic Gothic style, with many individual features. Nave and lean-to aisles, double transepts broadening out of aisles, and further short transepts north and south of choir. North-west tower planned but not built. Tracery of unusual patterns throughout, with rose windows over long lancets in east end and choir transepts as well as over two very long windows at west end. Clerestory of irregular design. Deep entrance porch at west end of north aisle. Interior has nave of six bays with arcade of Pennant stone columns, Bath stone arches and polychromatic brick wall surfaces, all now painted. Timber roof to nave of braced Queen post type. Pews by Peacock. Chancel wholly recast by Bodley and Tapper. Tall reredos by Bodley with gilded wooden figures carved by Bridgeman of Lichfield; organ loft on north side, 1905-6; black and white marble paving by Bodley and Tapper; rood by Tapper, 1908. Also by Tapper, St Stephen's Chapel under organ, 1913. Equivalent chapel on north side by Sir Charles Nicholson, 1936. Font under west windows by Peacock, now surrounded by choir stalls by Tapper and with tall inter-war canopy. Stained glass of variable quality, but including good west windows by Mayer of Munich, 1881. Much in aisles by Lavers, Barraud and Westlake. One of the best remaining churches by the 'rogue' Victorian architect, Joseph Peacock; 'tamed by other hands' (Goodhart-Rendel) but with a richness of added interest rather than loss of effect. Sources: Survey of London, vol.42, 1986, pp.384-7.

Listing NGR: TQ2619078979

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - South Kensington Kensington Square to Earls Court: Volume 42 , (1986), 384-87

National Grid Reference: TQ 26190 78979


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1293603 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2015 at 08:46:32.