This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1293550



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Old Stratford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 18-May-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235319

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


OLD STRATFORD PASSENHAM SP7739 19/82 Two barns at the Manor House 01/12/51 (Formerly listed as Two barns at the Manor House; north of Church in Deanshanger C.P.)


Pair of barns. Early C17; part dated 1626. For Sir Robert Banastre. Coursed squared limestone, old plain-tile roofs. The larger of the two is approximately 33 metres long. 8 bays with central double opposed doors, that to rear blocked, with bar stop-chamfered wood lintels and arch-braced collar truss roof. Arch-braces are stop-chamfered. Crown post and two additional collars to each truss, 4 tiers of wind-braced purlins, ogee-stop-chamfered wall posts and timber corbels. Roof has deep projection with struts to eaves and extension wall posts. 3 ventilation slits to left gable end wall and ventilation slits to long side walls all with bar stop-chamfered wood lintels to inner splays. Pair of 2-light windows over slits to left gable end and similar window to gable above, all wits wood lintels. Diagonal off-set buttresses to angles and off-set buttresses between bays, all with wave-moulded plinths (c.f. those to chancel of Church of St. Guthlac). Smaller barn stands at right angle to left end to give L-plan and is approximately 23 metres long. Datestone inscribed 1626 to gable facing road. 8-bays with roof of very similar construction except for having 3 tiers of purlins. Similar ventilation slits and central double opposed doors. 1-window link building between right gable end of larger barn and smaller barn of two storeys and loft has four bar-stop-chamfered bridging beans to each floor and gabled roof continuing that of larger barn. Door and windows to all floors with wood lintels. A carriage arch with wood lintel has been blocked; lintel survives. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p370; O.F. Brown and G.J. Roberts, Passenham, 1973)

Listing NGR: SP7798539514

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Brown, O F, Roberts, G J, Passenham, (1973)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 370

National Grid Reference: SP 77985 39514


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1293550 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Oct-2015 at 10:00:32.