This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1289884



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Birmingham

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Jul-1982

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 217210

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


HAGLEY ROAD 1. 5104 (north side) Edgbaston B16 St Philip's Grammar School (formerly listed as The Oratory) SP 0488 SE 36/4 25.4.52 II* GV 2. 1859-61 by Henry Clutton, architect. Red brick with stone dressings; slate roof. To the road, a 2 storey block 6 bays long. The ground floor a windowless room with slender Tuscan columns of iron and the entrance into the courtyard behind and so into the Oratory church (qv). First floor with arched casement windows in stone surrounds with foliated capitals and sitting on a stone string. Between bays 3 and 4 a clock face. Boldly stone bracketed eaves cornice and parapet. Within the entrance, a 2 bay quadripartite brick vaulted passage gives on to a cloistered courtyard. The vault, like the arches of the courtyard, is carried on fat round piers on high bases and with excellently carved capitals of Romanesque character. The north side of the cloister is filled by the west facade of the church. The south side has no arcade or cloister but, instead, a low and narrow first floor corridor lit by 4 small windows is carried out on 8 boldly projecting stone brackets with transverse barrel vaults between them. Only this part of the school is listed.

Listing NGR: SP0487786014

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 04877 86014


© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1289884 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Feb-2016 at 10:52:35.

End of official listing