This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1289792



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Greenwich

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Mar-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 396423

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. 4412 SHOOTERS HILL SE18 (South Side)

Severndroog Castle Castle Wood Park TQ 4376 42/W14 26.3.54.


2. 1784. 3-storey triangular tower with hexagonal angle turrets of ½-storey height. Tower and turrets battlemented. Multicoloured stock brick with 1st floor band and plinth. Quatrefoil blocked and painted windows in turrets. Other windows have 2-centred, pointed arches, wide on the main faces and narrow in the 3 external faces of each turret. Moulded labels over windows, some of which are blocked and treated in trompe l'oeil fashion as in turret tops. 1st floor windows in wide, stuccoed recesses. Small door with alternating block surround in inner return of North-east turret. Later doors inserted in North-West and South turrets. Main, studded double door, in South-West face, has moulded surround in deep coving, with label over. Cornice head and fanlight with interlacing bars matching the window heads. On the other 2 sides the former entrances blocked, fanlights only remaining. Inscription in stone apron below 1st floor window on South-West face "This building was erected MDCCLXXXIV by the representative of the late Sir William James, Bart. To Commemorate that Gallant Officer's Atchievements (sic) in the East Indies during his command of the Company's Marine Forces in those seas. And in a particular manner to record the Conquest off the Coast of Malabar which fell to his superior Valour and able Conduct on the 2nd day of April MDCCLV."

Listing NGR: TQ4319076196

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 43190 76196


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1289792 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Dec-2015 at 05:14:49.