This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1289770



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: West Berkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Newbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Sep-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 396435

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. WHARF STREET 5127 (south side)

Museum (formerly listed as Cloth Hall) SU 4767 SW 6/230 29.9.50


2. 1626-27 by Richard Emmes of Speenhamland (Master Carpenter) for the Newbury Corporation for use as a cloth factory. The original building was of courtyard plan of which the former south "rowe" or range survives as the museum. By 1659 the building was used as a workhouse (Kendrick's Hospital). From 1706-22 part of the building was adapted for use as a Blue Coat School. With the formation of the River Kennet Waterway Trade in 1714 the old Cloth Hall became a grain store. The north and east ranges were probably demolished circa 1829 when the south range was renovated. Restored in 1897 and converted for use as a museum in 1902-4. In 1934 the Walter Money Memorial gallery was built as the east end in similar style to link the museum with the Old Granary (qv). Two-and-a-half storeys. Six bay north front with 1st floor jetty and 3 large.gables. Tile roof with a brick chimney (circa 1897?) with 2 diagonal shafts on a square stack. Timber-framed with plaster panels. Ground floor bays with semi-circular wood pilasters carrying semi-elliptical blind arcade. Jetty with carved (mostly restored) brackets and moulded bressumer. Mullioned windows with leaded lights and cornices; 3 light attic windows; 4 light 1st floor windows with transoms; 4 light ground floor windows. Openings and doorway formed in west gable wall (former party wall) before 1759 in similar style to remainder. Doorway (remodelled 1902-4) with pilasters and coved, bracketted hood carried round from bressumer. Panelled door. Former doorway in west bay of north front. Modern interior. (Trans Newbury Field Club X (1955-6) 21-41).

Listing NGR: SU4724367135

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions of the Newbury and District Field Club' in Transactions of the Newbury and District Field Club, , Vol. 10, (1956), 21-41

National Grid Reference: SU 47243 67135


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1289770 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Oct-2015 at 10:18:59.