This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1289674



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Ludlow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 15-Apr-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 390111

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SO5174 THE CROSS 825-1/1/475 The Butter Cross 15/04/54


Market Hall. c1746. By William Baker of Audlem. Ashlar; 2-storeys; 3-window range: central tripartite, 1/1: 3/3: 1/1 sash flanked by 3/3 sashes, all with shouldered architraves and corbelled stone sills; side pilasters to moulded frieze and cornice; balustraded parapet with ball ornaments; rectangular ashlar clock turret with moulded hood; surmounted by octagonal bell-cupola with weather vane. Pedimented tetra-style portico with Doric columns, to open arcade with shallow arch flanked by semi-circular arches, all with keyblocks and moulded architraves. Wing to left similar, but with plain parapet. King Street front has paired arches and sashes over. Rear of brick, over ashlar piers and arches. Bell from old St Leonards Church in Corve Street. INTERIOR: central window with fanlight glazed upper casement; moulded arches with keyblocks; string course. (Clifton-Taylor A: Six English Towns: 1978-: PP.163-165; Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: 1958-: P.184).

Listing NGR: SO5112074654

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Clifton Taylor, A, Six English Towns, (1970), 163-165
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)

National Grid Reference: SO 51136 74657


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1289674 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2015 at 02:54:14.