This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1287658



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Jul-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Sep-1977

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189680

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


HIGH STREET 1. 5303 (East Side) United Reformed Church (formerly listed as the Congregational Church) SP 7387 1/31 25.7.52. II* GV

2. 1844. Architect William Flint of Leicester. Recessed behind church yard. Gault brick with stone dressings and rusticated quoins. Painted modillion cornice and parapet with centre panel crowned by moulded scroll ornament and inscribed "Independent Chapel". 2 storeys. 5 windows, the centre 3 uppers divided by engaged Corinthian columns and flanked by Corinthian pilasters. Round-arched windows. Ground floor ham tetrastyle portico with Greek Ionic columns in antis. 6 stone steps. Painted entablature above with dentil cornice. Ground floor windows have shaped frames and pediments. All windows, sashes with glazing bars and moulded painted architraves. Facade to Bowden Lane, 6 windows, those of 1st floor round-arched with band between floors and at 1st floor impost height. Interior: Panelled balcony curved round 3 sides of church supported on long scrolled brackets with low relief curving and columns with composite capitals and fluted shafts on tall polygonal plinths. Moulded arch at east end with modillion cornice and pilasters over organ and pulpit. 6-panelled doors.

Listing NGR: SP7321987513

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 73219 87513


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1287658 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Oct-2015 at 03:53:59.