This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1285652



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City and County of the City of London

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Nov-1977

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 199731

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ST MARY AT HILL EC3 1. 5002 (West Side) Nos 17 and 18 (Watermen's Hall) [Formerly listed as No 18 (Watermen's Hall)] TQ 3380 NW 17/467 4.1.50.


2. 1778 to 80, possibly by William Blackburn (?) with extension to north dated 1786. Small building with distinguished front of Portland stone. 2 main storeys. Rusticated ground storey with round-arched window flanked by square headed doorways and carved panels above. Pairs of Ionic pilasters to upper part supporting entablature with enriched frieze and pediment rising through parapet. Large Venetian window with fanlight in lunette and carved arms to apron. Modern, copper-roofed mansard. Vaulted entrance passage and simple curved stone stair with enriched, upper part and lantern. Fine 1st floor court room with pilasters and pendentives to enriched, circular ceiling. Carved marble chimney-piece with arms above in wood or plaster. North extension of yellow brick with painted dressings. Shop to ground floor. 3-light window to 1st floor with semi-elliptical arch and decorated mullions and fanlight. Lunette above. Small cornice and rendered parapet. Scheduled AM.

Listing NGR: TQ3306780693

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 33067 80691


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1285652 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Oct-2015 at 10:13:35.