This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1280374



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Liverpool

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1975

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213906

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



7/281 Bluecoat School 14.3.75 G.V. II*

School. 1903-6. Briggs, Wolstenholme and Thornely. Tower added 1915. Red brick with stone dressings, slate roof. Main range parallel to street, with other ranges behind. One- storey, 9-bay centre, and recessed and lower 7-bay wings. Entablature and brick parapet. End bays emphasised by quoin strips and segmental open pediments. Round-headed windows have eared architraves and keys with cherubs, and are sashed with glazing bars. End bay windows have triple keys with flanking swags and shields with cherub crests over, flanking wings are similar, central bay of each projects with rounded angles and hipped roof. Windows have tripartite casements with leaded glazing. Central entrance has aedicule with paired Ionic columns and open pediment framing coved recess with channelled rustication, archivolt and cartouche key. Entrance has eared architrave with key, frieze and cornice; arms of Liverpool above. Tower has quoin strips and 4-face clock. Parapet with balustrading to 4 Tuscan aedicules. Swept stone finial and bronze urn. Interior not inspected. Pevsner: "One of the most spectacular half-dozen (buildings) of its date in Lancashire".

Listing NGR: SJ3921188847

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Lancashire, (1969)

National Grid Reference: SJ3921188847


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1280374 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Oct-2015 at 12:54:42.