This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1278781



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Charnwood

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ratcliffe on the Wreake

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 404864

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SK 61 SW MAIN STREET (East Side) 7/92 1.6.66 Church of St. Botolph


Church. C14, spire rebuilt 1812 and church restored 1876. Granite rubble stone with stone dressings, ashlar spire, and Swithland slate roofs. Stone coped gables. W tower, nave, chancel and S porch. W tower of two stages with short diagonal buttresses, W window with C19 stained glass, N door, clock face to N, 3 2-light bell openings, gargoyles, battlements and tall crocketted needle spire with two tiers of lucarnes. Nave has stepped buttresses. Inside, triple chamfered nave arch on polygonal responds, four bay N arcade on octagonal piers, blocked when N aisle demolished c1800. Three N windows, two with Y tracery and one with Intersected tracery. N door. Three S windows with Geometric tracery. C19 four bay roof with curved braces and wall pieces on stone corbels. Double chamfered chancel arch on polygonal responds. Early C14 chancel with two N windows with Geometric tracery, E window with Reticulated tracery and stained glass of 1878 and three S windows with Geometric or Curvilinear tracery. The middle of these has fragments of medieval galss including grisaille quarries. N door. N tomb recess with double chamfered arch and effigy of priest, c1300, the head under a crocketted gable. Piscina and triple sedilia. C19 three bay roof similar to nave. C12/C13 round font on probably C19 octagonal base. S porch rebuilt 1967. Kelly's Leicestershire, Rutland, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire 1881, and Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK6304614534

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Leicestershire Rutland Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, (1881)

National Grid Reference: SK 63046 14534


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1278781 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Oct-2015 at 09:08:12.