This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1278644



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Upper Clatford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 405035

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



11/26 Church of All Saints 20.12.60 II*

Parish church. C12, tower of 1578, C17 alterations, C18 porch, north aisle of 1890, extended chancel of 1894, vestry of 1903, and restorations of 1908 (Tower) and 1968 (porch). Flint and roughcast walls, with a tile roof. Originally an aisleless nave and chancel, with a north aisle added in the late C12; in the C17 the arcade was removed and the nave widened to incorporate the aisle, the chancel being correspondingly widened on its north side; 2 bays of the nave arcade were re-used to form a double chancel arch, and the roof was supported on 2 octagonal timber posts. The present north aisle was added in 1890 with a new arcade of 3 bays, and the chancel was extended (as a sanctuary) in 1894. The exterior has roughcast walls with stone dressings; there are 3 windows of the early C17, Victorian coupled lancets, and Victorian/Decorated east and south windows to the sanctuary, the north aisle has 2 small triple lights and a blocked Norman (re-set) doorway. The tower (probably replacing an earlier structure) is plain, with stepped buttresses, flint walls up to the bell-stage, which is cement rendered, and a plain parapet with crocketted comer pinnacles. The porch, of brickwork, has a round arch with a key. The interior is Victorian except for the nave, which has 2 slightly pointed chancel arches resting on drum columns; the posts support tie beams, above which are 3 slender Tuscan columns (supporting the ceiling). There is a Norman piscina pillar (placed in the sanctuary) and a stone font in the shape of a chalice, with the rim inscribed ..."Richard Greene of Winterbourne Stoke gave this 1629..." and floor slabs of C18 and C19 date.

Listing NGR: SU3419941926

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 35716 43559


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1278644 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2015 at 05:06:50.