This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1275470



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ditcheat

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 268306

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


DITCHEAT CP KITE LANE (West side) ST6235 16/99 The Priory (Previously listed as The Abbey House) 2.6.61 GV II*

Rectory, subsequently a house. 1473, for John Gunthorpe, Rector of Ditcheat, Dean of Wells, and Lord Privy Seal; altered 1667 for Christopher Coward; refacaded with internal rearrangements 1864-8, probably by James Piers St. Aubyn, for Rev. William Lier. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, coped verges, stone-tiled roofs, large stone finials, tall polygonal ashlar stacks in groups of 2, 3 and 4. Hall house with later changes, now forming an L-plan; Tudor-Gothick style. Two storeys and attic, 1:1:1:1:1 bays; second and fourth bays with small triangular gables to attic, first and fifth bays under shaped gables; 2 and 3-light stone-mullioned windows, arched and cusped heads, labels; one with carved heads as stops; canted 2-storied bay window to left, pierced parapet with quatrefoils bogus datestones; single-storeyed canted bay window to right, pierced parapet. Canted embattled oriel over door opening, which is to fourth bay, windows with ornamental glazing bars. Door opening with 4-centred arch head, label, paired ribbed doors. Two blocked windows in right end elevation are early with cusped heads. Rear elevations with remains of C15 detail including windows. Interior predominantly of 1868 in elaborate Gothic style, incorporating some reused material including part of the rood screen brought from the parish church of St Mary (q.v.) in 1868, some original C15 and C17 work remains, coffered ceilings, a stained glass window, and an arch-braced roof to the "chapel wing". (Chancellor C., The History of the Priory Ditcheat, l980 Photographs in NMR).

Listing NGR: ST6235436143

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Chancellor, C, The History of the Priory Ditcheat, (1980)

National Grid Reference: ST 62354 36143


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1275470 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2015 at 03:21:37.