This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1274102



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wincanton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 416222

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



8/153 No 4 (White Horse Hotel)



Inn. Dated 1733. By Nathaniel Ireson. Local stone cut and squared with painted ashlar dressings; plain clay tile roof behind parapet, simple gables; brick end chimney stacks. 3-storey, 3 bays. In a free baroque Georgian. Plinth, cill course, cornice above first floor level, rusticated quoins up to cornice with Egyptian type pilasters above supporting band course in lieu of parapet; 12-pane sash windows those to outer ground floor bays paired, with rusticated mullions and jambs, triple keystones through entablature and segmental pediments over, and under these windows blocked 2-light cellar windows; between bays entrance, up 3 steps with deeply recessed doors, framed by Gibbsian surround with quintruple keystone, centre incised G.D 1733 (George Deane, proprietor at that date); protruding through entablature into open pediment; first floor windows double in outer bays, simple surrounds with triple keystones, all windows with thick glazing bars; similar surround to second floor windows, which are 2-light small pane casements: double hanging sign with elaborate wrot ironwork ar first floor level between hays 2 and 3. Much extended and altered to rear. Interior not seen. Inn first recorded 1655, but completely rebuilt in 1733. (Sweetman,G: History of Wincanton, c1904.)

Listing NGR: ST7134128650

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST7134128650


© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1274102 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2016 at 11:13:53.

End of official listing