This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1271068



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Shrewsbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 456176

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ4912SW COLLEGE HILL 653-1/15/234 (South side (off)) 10/01/53 Clive House and adjacent dwelling


Formerly known as: No.3 Clive House COLLEGE HILL. House, now museum. C16 with facade of 1752. Timber-framed, encased and extended in brick, with plain tiled roofs. Main elevation faces south, 2 storeys, 6-window range. 12-pane flush-framed sashes with cambered heads. Central doorway with pedimented architrave, with rusticated pilasters and modillions in the pediment. Dentilled eaves cornice, coped gables. 6 gabled dormers within the roof. Axial and gable end stacks. Parallel gables in side elevation, with 6-panelled door with traceried fanlight in architrave with rusticated pilasters and flat entablature. Rear wing forms separate dwelling. 2 storeys, 3-window range, with 3- and 12-pane sashes. 6-panelled door to left, and inserted lower windows, the original flat-arched head still visible over central window. INTERIOR: range facing garden largely of 1752, with panelling, plaster cornices and fireplaces of that date, and staircase with 2 turned balusters to each moulded tread. Rear range incorporates substantial remains of earlier building, including timber-framed partition wall with panelling exposed in end wall of present drawing room, said to be part of a C15 hall. Timber-framing also exposed upstairs. HISTORICAL NOTE: the earlier building was part of the College of St Chad, and in the C18 the house was the property of the Clive family, and the home of Robert, Lord Clive, in 1762.

Listing NGR: SJ4912012343

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 49120 12343


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1271068 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Oct-2015 at 12:37:42.