This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1270792



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Manchester

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jun-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 457199

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ8398SE ST ANN STREET 698-1/27/381 (North side) 25/02/52 No.25 (Formerly Listed as: ST ANN STREET (North side) Williams and Glyn's Bank)


Bank, with attached manager's house. 1848, by J.E.Gregan, for Benjamin Heywood's Bank. Sandstone ashlar, and red brick with sandstone dressings, hipped slate roofs. Tripartite plan with bank on corner of St Ann's Square, entrance bay in centre and former manager's house to right. Italian palazzo style. The bank, 3 storeys, and 3x1 bays plus chamfered corner, has a plinth, rusticated quoins, rusticated ground floor with raised rusticated surrounds to large round-headed arches which contain Venetian windows with Ionic colonnettes and are linked by a moulded impost band; sashed windows to both upper floors, those in the centre tripartite, those at 1st floor with pedimented Corinthian architraves and balustraded balconies linked by a moulded sill-band, and those at 2nd floor with enriched architraves linked by a similar band; and a prominent dentilled and modillioned cornice. The corner has a carved shield at ground floor, and windows on the upper floors like those at the front; and the left return has tripartite windows on all floors, those at ground floor forming an arcade. The entrance bay has a single-storey porch with a round-headed doorway (the lintel lettered "BANK") with emphatic run-out voussoirs, and a balustraded parapet. The house to the right, 3 storeys and 4 bays, has a plinth, very emphatic rusticated quoins to the corners and surrounding a round-headed doorway to the 3rd bay, a cornice to the ground floor and moulded sill-band to the 2nd floor, a plain brick frieze and prominent modillioned cornice; and sashed windows with moulded architraves, those at 1st floor with panelled aprons and moulded cornices. Interior not inspected.

Listing NGR: SJ8382498381

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 83822 98379


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1270792 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Oct-2015 at 06:06:58.