This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1269291



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Malmesbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 460913

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



ST9387 MARKET CROSS 758-1/4/255 (North side) 18/01/49 The Cross


Market cross. Late C15/early C16, renovated c1800 by the Earl of Suffolk, and repaired 1909-12 and 1949-50. Limestone ashlar. Octagonal plan about a central shaft. Each face has a moulded 4-centre open arch with a low plinth, and 2 entrances facing SW and NE, with foliate spandrels beneath a drip and a crenellated parapet. Angle buttresses between have crocketed pinnacles rising from 2 levels of weathering. A large lantern above the roof is supported by cyma-moulded arch-braced roll top flying buttresses, with figures of the saints and the Crucifixion set in niches beneath attached finials, beneath an elaborate ogee cap with crockets and finials. INTERIOR: central octagonal shaft with attached columns and a low bench, with matching columns to the inside of the buttresses, supports a lierne vault with bosses. HISTORICAL NOTE: Leland states c1544 that it was built in living memory "for poore market folkes to stande dry when rayne cummith". An extremely fine example of its type. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Wiltshire: London: 1963-: 327; Victoria History of the Counties of England: Crowley DA: Wiltshire: 1956-: 134).

Listing NGR: ST9330487229

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Crowley, B A, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1991), 134
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1963), 327

National Grid Reference: ST 93302 87228


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1269291 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2015 at 09:18:58.