This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1268984



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hertford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Sep-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 461232

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TL3212NE HERTFORD CASTLE 817-1/17/310 Bailey Walls, north-east range to 10/02/50 Hertford Castle (Hertford Castle demolished) (Formerly Listed as: Hertford Castle: SE range Bailey Walls, N range Bailey Walls)


Curtain wall along north-east side of Castle Bailey. Late C12, c1171-4, with later repairs and alterations. Flint rubble with clunch blocks, and extensive repairs and rebuilding in red brick laid to English bond. At south-east corner is a screen totally rebuilt in red brick, on the site of the angle bastion, finally destroyed by the Marquess of Downshire together with a house built in the angle between the walls, visible in Sparrow's engraving of 1776. The wall attains its greatest height of 15 -18 ft, without later crenellations. The north gateway has a pair of C20 iron gates between circular castellated flint rubble gate piers. The return run of the curtain wall towards the motte has a 6 ft top section rebuilt internally in red brick, with flint faced outer wall. HISTORICAL NOTE: Hertford Castle reputedly originated as a Saxon fort built by order of King Alfred against the Danes encamped at Ware. The castle was built (or reconstructed) by William I shortly after 1066 as a motte and bailey - the motte mount, 22 ft high, remains in the north angle of the castle precinct overlooking the river. In 1171-4, at the behest of Henry II ยป171 was spent, probably on the replacement of the wooden palisade by the flint rubble curtain wall. The castle was periodically improved and had a double moat, the outer moat following the line of the north side of Castle Street, and the east side of Parliament Square and The Wash. An embankment separated the two moats, broadening into the Outer Ward to the west of the Gate House. The inner moat ran the perimeter of the curtain wall. Long since infilled, the vestiges of the moats can be seen in the undulating land forms of the approach to the south postern from Castle Street, and in the hollow behind the properties in Castle Street and Parliament Square. The Bailey occupies an area of 2.3 acres, and the castle precinct 7.75 acres. Hertford Castle Gate House, curtain walls, motte and bailey and precinct (qqv) are a Scheduled Ancient Monument. (Turnor L: History of Hertford: Hertford: 1830-: 16-52, 308-12; Victoria History of the Counties of England:

Hertfordshire: London: 1902-1912: 501-6; Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England): An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire: London: 1910-: 113; The King's Works: London: 1963-: 678-71; Hertfordshire Countryside: Davies HG: 'From Royal Palace to Council Offices': Letchworth: 1946-1971: 34-38; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Hertfordshire: Harmondsworth: 1977-: 187).

Listing NGR: TL3253212552

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1902), 501-506
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 187
Turnor, L , History of Hertford, (1830), 16-52
Turnor, L , History of Hertford, (1830), 308-312
'Hertfordshire Countryside' in Hertfordshire Countryside, (1946-1971), 34-38
Allen Brown, R, Colvin, H M, Taylor, A J, 'History of The Kings Works' in History of the Kings Works the Middle Ages, (1963), 670-671
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 32531 12552


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1268984 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2015 at 04:17:09.