This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS

List entry Number: 1265135

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS, SHACKLEWELL ROW E8

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Hackney

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Apr-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 425971

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 03/10/2012

TQ 3383 18/544 5013 24.4.51

SHACKLEWELL ROW E8 (East side) Church of Saint Barnabas

II*

Mission church, 1910-11 by Professor Sir Charles Reilly, decorated by him in 1935-6. Stock brick, with concrete vaults on expanded steel reinforcement covered in asphalt. Wide three-bay nave with narrow passage aisles, baptistery in arched recess at (liturgical) west end. Screen divides nave from chancel, which otherwise is continuous and has narrow transepts. Apse with three-bay ambulatory. South transept houses organ loft with open timber balustrade; behind this a projecting choir vestry.

All windows are square leaded lights. Screen, with elaborate iron gates presented in 1915, completed as Reilly intended in 1935-6 and figures added to the design of Tyson Smith in memory of the Denby family. Timber altar rails to raised altar, choir stalls and sanctuary chairs by Reilly, font. Side altar with marble surround.



Listing NGR: TQ3380385537

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 33803 85537

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1265135 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-May-2016 at 06:28:15.

End of official listing