This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1262961



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Berrow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 433618

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/5 Church of St Mary



Parish church. C13, C15, restored C19. Coursed rubble, slate roofs with copings, that to East with a finial. Nave chancel, South aisle, West tower. Decorated and Perpendicular. Three stage embattled tower with diagonal buttresses to bottom 2 stages; 2-light bell chamber windows to North and South with a quatrefoil interlace; 3-light West window, topping stair turret; further battlemented parapet to South aisle. C13 South doorway with a continuous roll-moulding porch a C19 rebuild, door dated 1707, inside a C13 stoup. South aisle of 5 bays with 2 and 3-light windows, the Perpendicular tracery much renewed. Three windows to North of nave, again such renewed 3-light tracery; chancel of 2 bays, 2-light windows. Inside C13 chancel arch and tower arch, both on corbels. C15 niche to North wall of the nave, now containing the remains of a C15 tabernacle crosshead, the base of the shaft in the churchyard (qv). Ribbed C15 octagonal font with foiled niches, further C14 quatrefoil font under the tower, base missing. Pulpit of 1621; reading desk dated 1631, Jacobean altar table. Royal ares to South aisle of 1603, also in the South aisle a carved bressumer dated 1637, once part of a former Western gallery. C19 pews and altar rail. Pedimented tablet to South aisle to Joseph Durston of 1770, adjacent a tablet to William Durston of 1806. Much C19 stained glass, C20 windows, that to North East corner of nave of 1918 to The Fallen of the Great War; that to South aisle of 1920 by Joseph Bell of Bristol Plastered ceiling to nave, C19 lean to roof to South aisle, C19 roof to chancel. Two C18 chairs to chancel. Peal of 6 bells, 3 dated; 1668, 1721, 1774.

Listing NGR: ST2938352464

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 29386 52462


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1262961 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2015 at 12:53:31.