This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1262721



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Horncastle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 434291

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/55 The Stanhope Memorial


Memorial to Edward Stanhope, M.P. 1894 by E. H. Lingen Barker. Limestone ashlar, red sandstone, pink and grey streaked marble, some copper. 3 octagonal steps lead up to memorial with moulded octagonal plinth with 2 narrow bands of red sandstone. 8 pointed, richly cusped openings above set under crocketed gables with large foliate stops, and supported on markble shafts with shaft rings and moulded ashlar capitals and bases. Inside these openings, diaper work, and alternate openings with ashlar motif: to south, a relief of Edward Stanhope; to east, a shield with castle and rampant lion and "Adeo et Rege" inscribed on ribbon below; to north, another shield; to west a shield and inscription: "Erected by public inscription in the memory of the Right Honourable Edward Stanhope Member of Parliament for this Divison of the County 1874-1893". 8 openwork arches above with trefoiled, pointed heads supported on marble shafts with shaft rings with ashlar foliate capitals and moulded bases. Moulded band above and 8 trefoiled gables above with wrought iron finials. Very small octagonal copper turret set above with 8 trefoil headed openings supported on shafts with tall gables above with wrought iron finials. Tall pyramidal roof with wrought iron finial above.

Listing NGR: TF2589169618

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 25891 69618


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1262721 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Oct-2015 at 02:28:31.