This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1262202



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Polesworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 23-May-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 435600

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


POLESWORTH HIGH STREET SK20SE (South side) 5/90 Abbey Gatehouse and No.24 23/11/51 (Formerly listed as Abbey gatehouse and other remains No.26, No.28, No.30)

GV 11*

Abbey gatehouse, now gatehouse and flat above. Part of a group of attached buildings. Late C14; upper part partly rebuilt C17, Regular coursed sandstone; upper part is timber-framed, of studding with middle rail and brick infill. Plain-tile roof has coped gable parapets with kneelers, and remains of finial to right; C20 brick left end stack, 2 storeys; 3-window range, High ground floor has large wide gateway on right. Pedestrian gateway to left has chamfered jambs and elliptical arch of 2 orders, 2 small round-arched lights of differing sizes above and to left. First floor has partly-leaded 3-light wood muilioned windows. To the rear the gateway has a cambered beam. C14 doorway to right of pedestrian gateway rids chamfered pointed arch and hood mould with return stops; C20 plank door, Two C20 box dormers. Interior has 2-centred arched doorway in mezzanine to left with roll-moulding supporting massive joists. Further 2-centred arched doorway above and late c14 three-bay roof with cambered tie beams, arched braces and king posts with struts to collars and purlin. Renewed rafters. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p373; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV, p186)

Listing NGR: SK2629102554

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947)
Pevsner, N, Wedgewood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1981), 373

National Grid Reference: SK 26291 02554


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1262202 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2015 at 09:21:19.