This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HICKEY'S ALMSHOUSES, INCLUDING CHAPEL AND LODGES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HICKEY'S ALMSHOUSES, INCLUDING CHAPEL AND LODGES

List entry Number: 1262108

Location

HICKEY'S ALMSHOUSES, INCLUDING CHAPEL AND LODGES, SHEEN ROAD, TW9 1XB

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Richmond upon Thames

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 435927

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 1875 11/18

SHEEN ROAD Hickey's Almshouses, including Chapel and Lodges 10.1.50

II* 1834 by Vulliamy. Grey brick, stone dressings, slate pitched roofs. Tudor Gothick style. Consists of central and flanking ranges, gatehouse and caretaker's house. Two-storeyed buildings arranged around an open courtyard. Central block dominated by central chapel, with perpendicular Gothic window above entrance, and stepped gable above with ogee-domed bellcote finial, and pinnacles. To either side of chapel and adjoining, almshouses six-bays wide plus two double Tudor arched doors. End bays gabled and project slightly. Tripartite mullioned windows with leaded lights and dripstones, the central lights under the gables breaking upward. Eaves, except to gables, which have parapets. Prominent Tudor style chimneys. Side blocks each of four bays plus central double doorway. Joined to central block by Tudor arched doorways with stepped gables. Arcaded cloister to far side of outer blocks. Two-storeyed gatehouse with two bay wings flanking central archway. Similar details. Polygonal buttresses to corners some with ogee domed finials. Castellated parapet. Custodians house of two bays, steep pitched roof, and similar details. Railings to either side of gatehouse, joining with cloisters to completely enclose the site. Cast-iron with quatrefoils and castellated brick piers.

Listing NGR: TQ1886375104

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 18863 75104

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1262108 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2017 at 06:42:08.

End of official listing