This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

SHEPHERD WHEEL AND ATTACHED DAM GOIT AND WEIR

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SHEPHERD WHEEL AND ATTACHED DAM GOIT AND WEIR

List entry Number: 1255068

Location

SHEPHERD WHEEL AND ATTACHED DAM GOIT AND WEIR, HANGINGWATER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Sheffield

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Dec-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 458649

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHEFFIELD

SK38NW HANGINGWATER ROAD 784-1/5/401 (East side) 28/06/73 Shepherd Wheel and attached dam, goit and weir (Formerly Listed as: HANGING WATER ROAD Shepherd's Wheel (with wall to dam and spillway))

II*

2 grinding hulls, now museum, and adjoining dam, goit and weir. c1780, restored c1960. Coursed squared stone with stone slate roof and single brick gable and single stone side wall stacks. EXTERIOR: 2 single storey ranges, 4 and 3 bays. Larger range, to left, has a single light window flanked by single 2-light windows, and to left, a 3-light window. All have glazing bars and plank shutters. Right gable has to left a plank door with stone lintel. Left gable has an external stair made of discarded grindstones. Smaller range, to right, has a central plank door and at the rear, three renewed 2-light barred windows with wooden mullions. At the rear, a renewed wooden pentrough feeding an iron overshot wheel approx 3m diameter. To west, dam with curved retaining wall approx 160m long, with a narrow spillway close to the buildings. At the west end, an early diversion weir under a road bridge, diverting water into a short head goit. INTERIOR has in the main hull a cast-iron spur wheel driving 5 grindstones, with a shaft and belt connection to 4 similar stones in the small hull. This machinery is complete and in working order. HISTORICAL NOTE: there has been a grinding hull on this site from c1584, and the existing buildings were in use from the late C18 till c1930 for the grinding of table and pocket knives. Shepherd's Wheel is an outstanding example of the single process small scale units which characterised the Sheffield cutlery industry. (Shepherd Wheel 1584-1984: Peatman J: Sheffield: 1984-; Water Power on the Sheffield Rivers: Crossley D: Sheffield: 1989-: 74).

Listing NGR: SK3173485396

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Crossley, D, Water Power on the Sheffield Rivers, (1989), 74
Peatman, J , Shepherd Wheel 1584-1984, (1984)

National Grid Reference: SK 31734 85396

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255068 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2016 at 10:07:27.

End of official listing