This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1254660



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Shrewsbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 457691

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ5012SW MONKMOOR ROAD 653-1/17/447 (East side) 30/05/69 Whitehall


House, now in use as government offices. 1578-1582. Built for Richard Prince. Coursed and squared red sandstone with plain tiled roofs and internal timber-frame. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with basements and attics, square in plan, with 3 gables on each elevation. Principal rooms in the 4 angles, lesser rooms in centre of each elevation, the original layout now partially obscured by later partitions. Central entrance in stone porch probably added in early C17, the doorway approached up steps in the return elevation of the porch. Triglyph frieze below parapet. Windows throughout with some lozenge glazing, of 4 and 2 lights to ground floor, 4-lights above, and 3-lights in gabled attics. Central timbered octagonal belvedere with leaded windows and ogee lead roof capped by weather vane. Fluted brick chimneys on 3 sides. Round-arched rear entrance with long segmentally-arched porch roof carried on spiked ball finials on stone piers. INTERIOR: the original staircase survives, with heavy turned balusters, newels with ball finials and moulded rail. Most internal panelling replaced, but plaster ceiling of hall survives - lozenges containing roses, thistles, in low relief. Small room on first floor with monochrome painted panels superimposed on timber-framed partition walls - abstract scheme composed of arabesques, fleurs-de-lys, roses. Exposed timber-framing in upper storeys and roof. HISTORICAL NOTE: the house was built on land taken from the estates of Shrewsbury Abbey, and probably employs stone taken from abbey buildings. A fine and significant example of a late C16 house built to a compact plan form. (Country Life: Tipping HA: Country Homes and Gardens Old and New: Whitehall, Shropshire: 1920-: 200-206; Leach F: The Country Seats of Shropshire: 1891-).

Listing NGR: SJ5023412495

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Leach, F, The County Seats of Shropshire, (1891)
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1920)

National Grid Reference: SJ 50234 12495


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254660 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Oct-2015 at 09:09:07.