This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1253119



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Wigan

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1990

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213535

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 03/10/2012

SJ 69 NE 6/59



Large double cotton spinning mill. Built for the Horrocks Company; E Block, boiler house and chimney stack, 1913; W Block to the same design, 1923, both by Bradshaw, Gass & Hope, architects of Bolton. Red brick with buff brick banding and dressings, presumably cladding a reinforced steel frame. Roof material not visible. Both blocks, 6 storeys, 10 x 7 bays with corner water tower to SE and SW corner angle of E and W block respectively. One, the SE tower (to the 1913 block) rises to its full height with 2 stages above roof level, the lower stage with central roundel, the upper with deeply recessed round-headed niche, to all faces, surmounted by a slate cupola. The SW tower appears never to have had a cupola (1929 photograph shows it without one). Upper floor of main block treated as an attic storey with dentilled sill cornice. Windows all of 5 lights under flat heads. 5 elevations of both blocks with offices of 2 and 3 storeys, each block with engine house and rope race tower, the blank faces with round-headed niches. Low boiler house with much renewed S elevation; various entrances enlarged or blocked. Rear (N) elevations with stair and privy blocks, symmetrically placed. Tall stack with cap. Leigh Mill is one of the most monumental and complete mills surviving in Greater Manchester from the last generation of cotton mill building. It was designed as a double mill, although (as was often the case) the second block was not built until business proved the investment worthwhile. At peak production, the mill contained over 200,000 mule spindles and 4,800 ring spindles. Spinning machinery by Platt and Oldham (now removed); one steam engine survives intact and in working order (to the west, 1923, block) and is one of the largest produced by Yates and Thom. The pair were known as the 'Mayor' and 'Mayoress'. The boiler house contained 7 Lancashire boilers.

Listing NGR: SJ6737999725

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 67379 99725


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253119 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2015 at 03:51:24.