This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1252730



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Thornton in Lonsdale


Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 435793

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


THORNTON IN LONSDALE SD 67 SE 9/7 Church of St Oswald 20.2.58 GV II* Parish church. Rebuilt 1933-35 after fire, by Austin & Paley, except C15 west tower. Limestone rubble, sandstone dressings, Westmorland slate roof. South entrance porch, 4 stage west tower, 4 bay nave and aisles, north and south chapels, 2 bay chancel. Steeply pitched gable to south porch, pointed arched entrace. Moulded surround to pointed arched entrance, plank door. Tower: moulded surround to pointed arch west entrance, plank door and strap hinges, hoodmould. 3 light trefoil headed mullioned window with panel tracery, hoodmould with head stops. Small ogee headed window above with decorated hoodmould and sill. 2 trefoil headed lights to bell stage, panel tracery, continuous hoodmould. Diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet. Late Cl9 pyramidal spire of slate, lead finial. Nave: three 2-light chamfered mullioned windows with alternate trefoils and cusped Y tracery, on south, two 2-lights and a 3-light window on north. Buttresses flank side chapel: 3-light window on south, and 3 lights to east window. East window of chancel is 4-light with trefoil heads. Cruciform finial to east gable end. North vestry entrance. Interior c1935: 4 pointed arches to south arcade, similar arch on north, rest are in Romanesque style, one with zig-zag moulding. Jointed cruck roof trusses with windbraces. Memorials to Sarah Redmayne 1678, John Redmayne, 1680, Margaret Redmayne, 1701 and Ralph Redmayne, 1703 of Thornton Hall (qv) and Edward Talbot Day Foxcroft (1837-1911) of Halsteads (qv). Church apparently rebuilt after fire to design of c1870.

Listing NGR: SD6857173618

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 68571 73618


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252730 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2015 at 11:42:48.