This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1247474



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Manchester

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1988

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jun-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 456965

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ8498 REDHILL STREET, Ancoats 698-1/17/462 (North West side) 11/11/88 Royal Mill (Formerly Listed as: HENRY STREET, Ancoats (North East side) Royal Mill)


Cotton spinning mill, now clothing works. Dated 1912, and built to use mains electricity. Red brick with terracotta and stone dressings, with cast iron, steel and concrete internal structure. Distinctive baroque detailing. 6 storeys, 10x3 bays, with external stair-tower at NW corner, surmounted by dome, with electric motors housed in towers projecting from E wall. 7 storey entrance block to Redhill Street elevation, built over courtyard entrance and linking Royal Mill with the earlier Sedgwick Mills (qv). This has large segmental archway with cast iron surround. Office to right of entrance, with segmental doorway. Narrow advanced privy turret to left of entrance, with pairs of narrow windows to all floors, and cornice and segmental pedimented parapet. Water tower set back behind entrance block. Wide segmentally arched windows in each bay of main body of mill, which is enriched with banded and panelled corner pilasters, and heavy stone band above 3rd floor windows. The mill forms part of the McConnell Kennedy works, together with the earlier Sedgwick Mills and Paragaon Mill (qv). A further mill (Long Mill) is no longer extant. A stone over the entrance records that the mill replaced an earlier building on the site, originally built in 1797. Included as an early example of a mill designed to use mains electricity from the outset, which forms an important part of the McConnell Kennedy works.

Listing NGR: SJ8497598526

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ8497598526


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1247474 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2015 at 09:30:53.