This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1246948



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Manchester

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Dec-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 456035

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ89SE PLATT LANE, Fallowfield 698-1/9/688 (South side) 18/12/63 Church of Holy Trinity


Church. 1845-6, by Edmund Sharpe. Yellow, buff and brown terracotta in imitation of stone (including mason's tooling marks); slate roof. Decorated style. Nave with south-west steeple, north and south aisles, chancel. The 3-stage tower has angle buttresses, a cusped south doorway in a 2-centred arched surround with 2 orders of moulding including set-in shafts with foliated caps, and a hoodmould with figured stops, 3-light windows to the 2nd stage with crocketed gablets, paired belfry windows with transoms and diamond-pattern terracotta grills, an embattled parapet with corner pinnacles and slender S-shaped flying buttresses to an octagonal drum at the base of the tall octagonal spire. The 5-bay nave has a west doorway like that to the tower, a tall traceried 4-light west window, and pairs of clerestory windows with terracota tracery and parapets faced with 4-petal tiles; the aisles have buttresses, 2-light windows with terracotta tracery and hoodmoulds, and similar tiled parapets; the lower 2-bay chancel has a parapet with mouchette openwork, and a 5-light east window with very elaborate mouchette tracery, and is now surrounded by a C20 flat-roofed addition. Interior: 5-bay arcades of 2-centred arches on quatrefoil piers of terracotta with heavily-foliated capitals; scissor-braced roofs to nave and chancel, with wall-posts rising from foliated corbels. History: the very unusual terracotta construction was suggested to Edmund Sharpe by colliery owner John Fletcher (who used colliery clay to make fire-bricks), for the church of St Stephen, Lever Bridge, Bolton, built 1842-5.

Listing NGR: SJ8512494842

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 85124 94842


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1246948 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2015 at 04:32:40.