This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1245853



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477957

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ2884NW ST SILAS PLACE 798-1/53/1525 Church of St Silas the Martyr 10/06/54


Church. 1911-13. By Ernest Charles Shearman. Purple-brown Fletton brick with stone dressings, tiled roof. 4-bay aisled nave with clerestory, transepts and apsidal chancel in stripped Gothic style. EXTERIOR: west end mostly blind with bellcote and inset stone cross flanked by narrow lancets flanked by small flying buttresses. North and south facades, single and 3-light trefoil-headed lancet clerestory windows. Each gabled transept with 3 similar windows, the main entrance being in the south transept. Chancel with brick pilaster strips and Lombard frieze, alternate bays having pointed lancets linked by a continuous stone string. South entrance porch with inscription on parapet, flanking corbel figures of knights with armorial shields, standing statue of St Silas to left, stone crucifixion to right with inscribed plinth erected as war memorial. Projecting chapel of St Francis on (liturgical) south side added 1913. INTERIOR: with passage aisles, a chapel on the south side, a small chapel opening on the north from a narrow ambulatory. Tall chancel with open timber roof above prominent baldacchino, enriched with neo-Gothic carvings of Christ in Majesty, designed by Shearman and executed by Messrs. Burns and Oates. Crucifix of 1922 by the Art and Book Company within baldacchino originally placed above canopy. Altar candlesticks and sanctuary lamp also designed by Shearman. Sanctuary flanked by wooden statues of SS Silas and Peter, 1917. Narrow ambulatory arched over with lancets, leading to former mission church of 1884 (altered). Lady Chapel in south-east angle of church, St Thomas's Chapel to north of altar with painted reredos by Victoria Somerville. Spacious nave with organ loft at west end; organ by Bishop and Son, 1914. HISTORICAL NOTE: a mission church was founded in this heathenish patch of Kentish Town in 1884, capable of seating 150. An American, Howard Henry Paul, left »7,000 in 1902 for the building of a proper church; delays over his will meant that work could not begin until 1911, by which time his legacy had shrunk to »4,000. The church has always been High Anglican in tradition, following the ideals of its founder, the Revd G Napier Whittingham. St Silas is Shearman's first and most important church, where he established his characteristically

severe brand of brick Gothic and elegant sense of space. (Survey of London: Vol. XXIV, King's Cross Neighbourhood: London: -1952: 145).

Listing NGR: TQ2821084693

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Kings Cross neighbourhood The Parish of St Pancras Part 4: Volume 24 , (1951), 145

National Grid Reference: TQ 28210 84693


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1245853 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2015 at 04:28:39.