This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1244255



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Sevenoaks

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sevenoaks

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Apr-1990

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 449175

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



Church. 1877-1880 by John Hooker for James Thompson in Early English Style. Built of snecked Kentish ragstone with ashlar dressings and tiled roof. Nave with aisles, lower apsidal-ended chancel, south west tower over porch and south tran- sept and organ loft and vestry and hall. Massive tower in 3 stages with corner buttresses. Lower storey has stone niche with Saint. Trefoliated-headed arch to porch with double colonnettes and double lancet with circular window above to west. 2nd stage has 2 lancets to each face. 3rd or bell stage has 2 lowered lancets with 2 sets of columns and 4 small lancets below octagonal stone crockets. Turret to east. West front of nave has 3 lancets surmounted by a rose window. South aisle has 3 lancets divided by buttresses and 6 1 cets to clere- storey. South transept has large traceried window and cross-shaped saddlestone. Apsidal-ended chancel has double lancet windows with quartrefoil above. Organ loft and vestry opposite the south transept has a similar traceried window and a doorcaae with Caernarvon arch. North aisle has 3 lancets but clerestory has 9. The hall attached to the north aisle is gabled with a traceried window to east and west and Caernarvon arched door to east and west. Interior has a 4 bay arcade with clustered columns with foliate decoration and between arches carved roundels with scenes from the Gospels. Clerestorey above with lancet windows. West end has 3 lancets surmounted by a rose window which has stained glass by Clayton & Bell. The marble font is a copy of one in Florence Cathedral. Quatrefoil-shaped bowl with putti and spiral shaped shaft with foliate base. Nearby is a decorative bronze tablet to James Thompson who endowed the church. Roof of arched braced type. Pulpit of Derbyshire alabaster with marble shafts and suspended hexagonal wooden canopy. South transept has a stained glass window by Clayton & Bell depicting Faith, Hope and Charity. Chancel has stained glass by heaton, Butler and Bayne. Painted boarded roof depicting the firmament and angels. Original pews and organ.

Listing NGR: TQ5215554596

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 52155 54596


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1244255 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2015 at 04:26:40.