This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1242122



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Shepway

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lyminge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 441475

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/145 Church of St. Mary and St. 29.12.66 Ethelburga, and remains of the Older Church to south


Abbey church, now parish church. Site of a mixed-sex (Augustinian?) Abbey founded by St. Ethelburga (wife of King Edwin of Northumbria) in circa 633. Present church c.965, late C12, C14 and early C16. Nave and chancel flint, sandstone and ragstone, with considerable areas of herringbone work. North aisle uncoursed flint and sandstone. Tower roughly coursed ragstone and sandstone. Stone dressings. Lead roof to nave, slate roof to chancel. North aisle roof not visible. Nave and chancel substantially c.965, but south wall of nave, towards west end, apparently raised on vestiges of north wall of (a "porticus" of?) the c.633 church. Square-ended chancel, very slightly narrower than nave. Early C16 north aisle to nave, incorporating vestiges of an earlier north-west tower. West tower, for which bequests were made in 1508 and 1527. West tower: two stages, on high chamfered and moulded stone plinth. Battlemented above a hollow-chamfered string. Shingled octagonal spirelet. Uncusped two-light window with hexagonal upper light, and unglazed spandrels, in pointed-arched architrave with hoodmould, to each face of belfry. Small round- headed light in rectangular architrave with level hoodmould to base of north face of belfry stage. Three-light pointed-arched west window to lower stage, with cinquefoil-headed lights, tracery of vertical bars, cavetto-moulded architrave and moulded hoodmould. Pointed-arched hollow-chamfered west doorway in rectangular cavetto-moulded outer architrave with shields to spandrels, and with squared moulded hoodmould, the upper part of which is continued horizontally as a hollow-chamfered string. C16 door of feather-lapped planks. Polygonal north-east stair turret taller than tower, on continuation of tower plinth, and with plain parapet above a hollow-chamfered string. Small plain- chamfered rectangular lights. Integral diagonal north-west and south- west buttresses. Tower is slightly overlapped by nave wall to south, from which south-east buttress rises. Lower buttress angled from this, resting on excavated foundations of c.633 wall. Nave: no plinth, but foundations of c.633 towards west end. Hollow-chamfered stone string- course. Galleted stone repair work to east end of south elevation. Plain parapet with moulded stone coping. Small, round-headed single- splayed Cll or earlier window under eaves towards centre. Two C15 pointed-arched three-light south windows with cusped intersecting glazing bars, and hoodmould. Recess with segmental head low in wall to west of porch, said to have been a window through which tomb of St. Ethelburga (in the c.633 ruins?) could be seen. Plaque to east of porch records her burial. Scratch dial to south-east corner. South porch: C19. Two timber-framed bays on coursed flint and stone base. Glazed chamfered side-lights. Gabled plain-tile roof with moulded crown post. Medieval pointed-arched plain-chamfered inner doorway with broach stops. Chancel: no plinth. Lower eaves than nave. Small round-headed single-splayed Cll or earlier south window under eaves to west of centre. Two C15 south windows, each of two cinquefoil-headed lights, with tracery of vertical bars, almost triangular head and no hoodmould. Low C13 pointed-arched stone doorway west of centre. Medieval doubly plain-chamfered flying buttress from south-east corner to a free-standing pier. C15 pointed-arched east window of three cinquefoil-headed lights, with tracery of vertical bars, and hoodmould. Two Cll or earlier north windows, similar to south. Early C16 untraceried north-west window of two cinquefoil-headed lights and squared head. Large central patch or repair of dressed stones. North aisle: hollow-chamfered stone plinth except to west end. Plain parapet above hollow-chamfered string. Diagonal north-east buttress, north-west angle buttresses, and one north buttress. One east window and two north windows similar to north-west chancel window. Low, moulded, pointed-arched north doorway. Tall, narrow west window of two trefoil- headed lights, recessed in moulded architrave with cambered head. 1971 two-storey rectangular stone vestry in a C16 style towards west end of north side. Interior: structure: early C16 three-bay north arcade to nave of moulded four-centred arches springing from engaged semi-circular shafts with moulded semi-octagonal capitals. Outer mouldings continue to ground on each side of slender lozenge-section piers. Pointed C14 chancel arch of three plain-chamfered orders, resting on much broader rectangular piers, which are bevelled to west side, with remains of a C13 bar stop. Pointed early C16 tower arch in similar style to nave arcade. Evidence for former north-west tower includes increase in thickness of north aisle wall, with stone quoins and off-set to the rebate. Triangular head of a blocked opening (possibly a C7 window, or medieval doorway to non-extant rood-left stair turret) set low to east end of south wall of nave. Moulded three-centred-arched C15 or C16 doorway towards centre of north wall of chancel. Hollow-chamfered four-centred-arched doorway to tower stairs, with broach stops, and medieval door of feather-lapped studded boards, with fleur-de-lys hinges. Roof: shallow-pitched roof to nave, with three king-post trusses probably early C16. Moulded tie-beams, with hollow-chamfered arch braces springing from moulded pendant posts on stone corbels (not all extant). Each truss has moulded octagonal king post, braced only to moulded ridge purlin, and short vertical queen posts with moulded leading edges, arch-braced to moulded side purlins. Moulded common rafters, and fragment of a moulded wooden cornice. C19 chancel roof with king struts on collars. Partly C16 lean-to roof to north aisle with moulded tie-beams with solid-spandrel arch braces springing from moulded pendant posts; firing-pieces carry side purlin. Moulded wooden cornice. Fittings: fragment of stiff-leaf decoration beside south chancel doorway. C17 hexagonal panelled pulpit. Single stall with carved handrests and brattished desk with blind traceried panels. Octagonal font with moulded base. Two funeral hatchments. Two Benefactors' Boards dated 1819. Alabaster Reredos by Sir Ninian Comper. Monuments: tablet on north wall of chancel to Mrs. Catherine Holloway, d.1743; plain marble tablet with beaded edge, open-topped triangular pediment with shield, moulded plinth on plain consoles, and shaped black marble base-plate. Tablet adjacent to the last, to Jane Tylden, d.1836; marble, with rectangular consoles, plain base band, lightly- moulded cornice; and draped urn, against shaped black marble base-plate, signed Saunders, New Rd., London. Tapering stone tomb slab with cross in relief, against east wall of nave, north of chancel arch. Abbey's last known charter granted 964. Body of St. Ethelburga (d.647) moved to Canterbury 1085. (J. Newman, Buildings of England Series, North- East and East Kent, 1983 edn.).

Listing NGR: TR1614640971

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983)

National Grid Reference: TR 16107 40862


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1242122 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 02:17:27.

End of official listing