This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1241823



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Stockport

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Oct-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 441062

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SJ 98 NE MARPLE BRABYNS BROW (north-west side) Marple Bridge 7/53 Church of - St. Martin


Church. 1869-70 by J.D. Sedding, for Maria Anne Hudson. North chapel 1895-6 and aisle 1909 both by H. Wilson. Snecked stone with ashlar dressings and clay tile roof; timber-framed porch. Nave, chancel, porch, aisle and aisle chapel. 3-bay nave with projecting plinth, heavy weathered buttresses and a gabled timber-framed porch in bay 1. Windows are of 2 lights with geometric tracery, 2 of which are paired in bay 2. Coped gables and bellcote. 2-bay chancel with 5-light east window. Interior: nave arcade arches die into bold square columns. Wagon roof to nave, arch-braced trusses to chancel. Chapel apse has vault with trees and birds in relief. Inlaid altar table and communion rail (Wilson). Reredos (C. Whall). Statue of St. Christopher in a niche with marble surround. North windows by H. Bryams, chancel windows by Morris, others by C. Whall. Plaster relief of angels by Sedding. Art nouveau font cover with pierced metal sphere on an inlaid and carved lid. Generally an unpretentious exterior with a remarkably progressive interior.

Listing NGR: SJ9634989345

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 96349 89345


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1241823 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2015 at 08:45:26.