This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1240266



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Rochdale

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Apr-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 438410

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SD 91 SW MILNROW ROUGH BANK New Hey 3/106 Rough Bank Farmhouse (formerly listed under Huddersfield 24/1/67 Road)

G.V. II* Farmhouse. 1607 on door lintel. Squared rubble with slate roof. 3-unit plan with 2 storeys. Quoins. Gabled porch between bays 2 and 3 has a chamfered door surround with elliptical head and dated lintel. The inner door has a heavy timber frame with ogee-arched lintel. 3, 4 and 3-light double-chamfered cavetto-moulded mullion windows with hoodmoulds (the latter with one mullion missing). Three 3- light first floor windows and a small 1-light stair window. Coped gables with kneelers. Ridge and gable chimney stacks, projecting on the left gable, with diagonally set shafts. C19 window in right return. 2-light fire window, 4-light house-part window and 3 smaller openings to rear. Interior: Chamfered floor beams with stepped stops. Chamfered bressumer beam and spere post with ogee stops. Two small wall cupboards remain within the ingleook which has a fire window and a timber heck. Two boarded doors with pegged ledges and ogee-arched lintels give access to heated parlour and buttery/pantry. Steps from the latter lead down to a vaulted cellar of later date. Through-purlin roof with collar and tie-beam truss. One other original door survives on the first floor. Early outbuildings adjoin the left gable-end and a wall surrounds the front enclosure, also of an early date. A well preserved and early survival of a Yeoman farmer's house. H. Fishwick, History of Rochdale, 1889.

Listing NGR: SD9471812318

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Fishwick, H, History of Rochdale, (1889)

National Grid Reference: SD 94718 12318


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1240266 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2015 at 08:46:04.