This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1238359



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stoke Trister

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Jan-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 415838

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/115 Physicwell House (formerly listed as Horwood Well House)


- II*

House. Circa 1805. Doulting stone ashlar; hipped Welsh slate roof behind parapet, rendered brick chimney stacks. In style of a Regency Villa. 2 storeys, 3 bays each face. West elevation has plinth, small dentilled cornice low parapet without coping; centre bay projects slightly; semi- circular headed sash windows to ground floor set in arched recesses, and above 12-pane sashes in plain reveals; central doorway has pair glazed doors with slim sidelights under ornate Regency semi-circular cast iron fanlight. Some blind panels to side elevations, on which windows were formerly 'painted-in'. Semi-circular plain projection to rear having staircase, with door in side and 12-pane sash window set on curve. Interior very little changed: good cantilevered stone staircase; fine doors, including one made on curve to fit curved partition to centre room. A speculation of the local Messiter family after two mineral springs were discovered in 1805 (one in house): Horwood spa offered the 'water cure' with baths, visitor's rooms, a small chapel, and even a nearby bank which opened 1808 and was forced to close 1810. Messiter went bankrupt, 1819, and the building sold and converted to farmhouse with offices. (Sweetman, G. "History of Wincanton" c1903).

Listing NGR: ST7278327898

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Sweetman, G, History of Wincanton, (1903)

National Grid Reference: ST 72783 27898


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1238359 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2015 at 02:39:21.