This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1236177



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Charnwood

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Shepshed

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Nov-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 427112

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SK 4819 9/103 18.1.50

CHURCH SIDE (north side) Church of St Botolph

(formerly listed under Queen Street)


Parish Church, C13 west tower and spire. C15 nave, with clerestory and aisles, and chancel, C19 north porch and south vestry, 1935. South transept with vestry by Albert Herbert. C19 and C20 restorations. Of Charnwood granite rubble with ashlar dressings and Swithland slate roofs. Perpendicular tracery to nave and chancel. Three stage west tower lit by lancets, with angles clasped by buttresses. Two-light bell chamber openings. Broach spire has 2-light lucernes with Y-tracery. Three-bay nave has cruciform piers on tall bases. Roof dated 1636 and 1652 and renovated 1912. North aisle roof replaced 1952. Pointed chancel arch wth 2 continuously chamfered orders. Chancel roof 1880. Medieval benches with heads and poppy heads on the ends. C14 font. Pinscina in south aisle. Pulpit by R Norman Shaw (Andrew Saint, Richard Norman Shaw, p 298). Chancel has piscina, C18 communion rail and a series of very fine monuments to the Phillipps family of Garendon. (N Pevsner, Leicestershire & Rutland, p 227; Harold Hack, Shepshed Parish Church). Many finely carved Swithland slate headstones in the churchyard.

Listing NGR: SK4810419693

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Mack, H, Shepshed Parish Church
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960), 227
Saint, A, Richard Norman Shaw, (1982), 298

National Grid Reference: SK 48104 19693


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1236177 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2015 at 10:02:31.