This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1235260



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: High Ham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Feb-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263124

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


HIGH HAM CP WINDMILL ROAD (South side) ST43SW EAST FIELD 2/59 Stembridge Mill - II* -

Windmill. 1822. Local lias stone roughly coursed; shaped thatched roof with plain gable over weatherboarded superstructure; wood sail frames. Circular plan. On north side, boarded door in heavy frame, up 4 steps, with a lower door in east face and a smaller door on south face; small casement windows on east side. Former bakery building to rear. Inside, four floors, and incomplete gear which once drove two pairs of stones: fireplace in lowest floor, the flue carried in wall to an outlet just below the cap. The mill stopped working by wind in 1897, and steam power was introduced; the drive shaft and gears are still in place; the French stones have balance weight pockets let into plaster backs, patented by Clark and Dunham in 1859. On the meal floor, below the stone floor, is a wire machine for dressing flour. The only surviving windmill in Somerset, it is the only thatched mill left in England. Acquired by National Trust in 1969, partly restored by them, further work in hand October 1984 (Watts, M: Somerset Windmills, Agraphicus, 1975; Couthard A J and Watts M, Windmills of Somerset and the men who worked them, - 1978).

Listing NGR: ST4328230517

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Coulthard, AJ, Watts, M, Windmills of Somerset and the men who worked them, (1978)
Watts, M , Somerset Windmills, (1975)

National Grid Reference: ST 43282 30517


© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1235260 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Oct-2016 at 01:30:25.

End of official listing