This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1231972



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Calderdale

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Ripponden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 15-Aug-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Jul-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 407285

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SE 01NW RIPPONDEN (former U.D.) (off) LONG CAUSEWAY, Rishworth

5/74 Upper Cockcroft Farmhouse, (formerly listed with 15.8.66 Upper Cockcroft under Rishworth) GV II*

House dated 1607 with added porch dated 1701 attached to Upper Cockcroft (q.v.). Large dressed stone, stone slate roof. 2 storeys. 2 cells in line with rear rooms under paired coped gables. Plinth. Inserted doorway of C17 character to left of 3-light chamfered mullioned window with same over to 1st floor. Double chamfered mullioned and transomed window of 12 lights with hoodmould with spiral stops with 4-light window over to 1st floor; fire-window altered to doorway now blocked to form modern window. Attached to right hand return wall is porch with basket arched doorway with moulded surround, the lintel inscribed "SEL 1701" (Samuel and Ellen Lees),scrolled plinth blocks. Porch protects original entry the lintel inscribed " :G.H. ANNO:DOMI: 1607" to right of heck-post. The farmhouse is linked to Upper Cockcroft by a connecting room of 1642 which has 10-light double chamfered mullioned and transomed window with 5-light window over to 1st floor. Rear rendered but preserves some mullioned windows. One stack.

Interior. Heck-post supports bressumer. Preserves jambs of fireplace with carved fleur-de-lys in relief.

Listing NGR: SE0241718101

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 02417 18101


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1231972 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Oct-2015 at 12:41:02.