This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

FORMER UNITARIAN CHAPEL AND SUNDAY SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER UNITARIAN CHAPEL AND SUNDAY SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1231064

Location

FORMER UNITARIAN CHAPEL AND SUNDAY SCHOOL, WELLFIELD TERRACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Calderdale

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Todmorden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Apr-1982

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Feb-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 406006

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 92SW TODMORDEN (former M.B.) WELLFIELD TERRACE

5/317 Former Unitarian Chapel and Sunday School (formerly listed under 29.4.82 Bank Street) G.V. II

The original Methodist-Unitarian Todmorden Chapel 1822-24, superseded by Gibson's 1869 Unitarian Church, Honey Holey Road (q.v.). Added cross-wing 1899. Now forms plastics factory. Hammer-dressed stone, slate roof. Single-storey to road, 2 to valley, west side, with the original Sunday School in lower-ground floor. Gabled 3-storey cross-wing. 5-bay front with squared surround windows. 2 similar windows to south west end, the original Sunday school lower ground floor fenestration retains glazing bars. Low pitch ½ hipped roof with console brackets spaced to gutter-eaves cornice. Chamfered rusticated quoins. The cross-wing has a shaped gable with kneelers. Doorway for sunday school entrance has triple keystone over which is inscribed tablet set within a recess which reads: TO THE MEMORY OF SAMUEL, JOHN, AND JOSHUA FIELDEN, Constant Benefactors of THE UNITARIAN CHURCH AND SCHOOL This stone was laid by S. ALFRED STEINTHAL June 17th 1899 3 large windows to lst floor. 5-bay return, and 5-bay main range all with windows with plain stone surrounds. Gable to south has inserted loading bay c.1980.

Listing NGR: SD9364723950

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 93646 23949

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1231064 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-May-2016 at 03:30:38.

End of official listing