This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

STONE PARLOUR IN GROUNDS OF BROXTON OLD HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STONE PARLOUR IN GROUNDS OF BROXTON OLD HALL

List entry Number: 1229908

Location

STONE PARLOUR IN GROUNDS OF BROXTON OLD HALL, OLD COACH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cheshire West and Chester

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Broxton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Jun-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 404745

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 45 SE BROXTON C.P. OLD COACH ROAD

8/26 Stone Parlour in Grounds of Broxton Old Hall

II

Chamber, early C19 or earlier, cut in sandstone cliff. Approx. 6 metres square and 4 metres high. Rock walls partly lined with tooled squared blocks of sandstone (some thrown down). The floor is stone-flagged. The ceiling slopes gently to a central ridge. Tudor-arched opening with deep splayed embrasures grooved for a former great window; weathered cill-stone. Basket-arched opening right of window-opening has peg-holes for former door-frame. Right of entrance passage a basket-arched opening leads to a shallow, partly natural cave with a small natural opening in the right corner. "A grotto 20 feet square, cut out of the solid rock, and formerly much frequented by the Egerton family" Bagshaw's Cheshire Directory 1850, Cheshire Record Office.

Listing NGR: SJ4851753184

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Bagshaws Directory' in Directory of Cheshire, (1850)

National Grid Reference: SJ 48517 53184

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1229908 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Aug-2016 at 12:40:30.

End of official listing